Love Your Block Phoenix is excited to announce the first five groups selected to receive a $1,000 mini-grant to support a neighborhood volunteer project. The funds will be used to purchase needed supplies and tools to implement a neighborhood improvement project that mobilizes community volunteers. From beautification to literacy, these first five projects will lay the foundation for what it means to love your block in Phoenix and will inspire other residents who are looking for creative ways to beautify their communities. We are excited to support the following neighborhood groups and their projects:
1. Community Alliance of Seventh Avenue (CASA): volunteers will beautify the Melrose District by installing flower planters at businesses. Some local merchants have agreed to match their mini-grant so more flower planters can be installed.
2. Grant Park Community Garden: volunteers will enhance an established community garden by planting fruit trees, repairing the irrigation system, and building a monarch butterfly station.
3. Pasadena Neighborhood Association: volunteers will build and install Little Free Libraries to increase community interaction through the power of sharing stories.
4. Triangle Neighborhood Association: volunteers will beautify a local park by painting a colorful community mural to inspire a sense of connection amongst neighbors.
5. Woodlea-Melrose Neighborhood Association: volunteers will paint weathered and tagged irrigation boxes to garner neighborhood pride and community involvement.
(Above) Triangle Neighborhood Association will paint a colorful mural on a blighted park wall with their Love Your Block mini-grant.
We are excited to see the positive impact each group will make in their neighborhoods and our city. These five neighborhood groups are the first cohort in Phoenix of a nationwide movement of residents who are revitalizing neighborhoods through volunteerism, one block at a time. For more information, visit phoenix.gov/volunteer. Stay up to date on these projects by following us on Twitter and Instagram @loveyrblockphx.