Love Your Block
Love Your Block PHX is a mini-grant program that engages Phoenix community members in revitalizing their neighborhoods, one block at a time. This program is funded by Cities of Service and is supported by the City of Phoenix City Manager's Office, Mayor's Office, and Neighborhood Services Department.
In June of 2015, Cities of Service awarded seven cities with two AmeriCorps VISTA members and $30,000 each to plan and implement the Love Your Block mini-grant program in low-to-mod income neighborhoods over a three-year period. Each year, neighborhood groups within the City of Phoenix are awarded $1,000 to make a change they wish to see in their neighborhood. The program encourages community groups to identify priority projects and develop volunteer-fueled solutions.
Cities of Service
Founded in September 2009 in New York City by New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and 16 other mayors from across the nation, Cities of Service is a national nonprofit organization that supports mayors and city chief executives in their efforts to engage local communities and residents, identify challenges, and solve problems together. Today, the Cities of Service coalition is comprised of over 215 cities in the US and UK, representing nearly 55 million people in 45 states, and more than 10 million people in the UK. Cities of Service works with cities to build city-led, citizen-powered initiatives that target specific needs, achieve long-term and measurable outcomes, improve the quality of life for residents, and build stronger cities. To find out more about Cities of Service, visit their website, like them on Facebook, and follow them on Twitter and Instagram @CitiesofService
Check out the Love Your Block Phoenix Toolkit for example projects and steps for designing projects to transform your neighborhood.
Love Your Block ofrece la oportunidad para los residentes a transformar y mejorar sus barrios con voluntariado. Grupos de voluntarios residente en los barrios dentro de los linderos están invitados a solicitar hasta $ 1,000 para ser utilizado para un proyecto. Para ver los proyectos que ganaron el dinero el año pasado, mira este pequeño libro. Este programa se hace posible en colaboración con Cities of Service.
Love Your Block PHX year 3 grantees have been announced!
This year we will see the implementation of 8 LYB projects!
- Woodlea Melrose Neighborhood -- Revitalization of a tool lending library
- Creighton Community Foundation -- Engaging local students to revitalize an alley way with student designed tiles, murals, and desert adapted plants
- Women's Support Group of the South Phoenix Roosevelt Early Childhood Family Resource Center -- Alley activation
- Grant Park -- Straw bale garden
- E. Sunnyslope -- Mailbox activation and beautification
- Creighton Square Neighborhood -- Community mural in partnership with Creighton Elementary
- Metro Tech School and Westwood Village and Estates Neighborhood -- Plasma cut community welcoming signs
- Sidney P. Osborn and Local Boyscout Troop -- Urban garden renewal
Above: Talia and Lenny, year three LYB VISTAs, facilitating grant orientation to this year's group of grantees.
How do you #LoveYourBlock?
Join first year grantees in these 5 community projects that are creating change here in Phoenix, one block at a time.